Becoming a Dive Instructor on one of the most beautiful islands in the world – doesn’t that sound fantastic? Here on Koh Samui you have it all – tropical warm waters, white sandy beaches, lush coconut trees, stunning views and a wonderful climate, an ideal environment to study in a relaxed atmosphere !
Surely one of the most rewarding experiences a professional diver can have is to see the expression of wonder and delight on a new students face when they put on their dive gear and head underwater for the first time in the tropical ocean.
So whether you are a Divemaster looking to broaden your job horizons in the diving industry, or feel in need of a total change in your career, or even if you just want to gain more knowledge and experience in diving, the next step on the PADI professional ladder, once you are certified as a Divemaster, is to become an Assistant Instructor (AI) and then a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI), and the Instructor Development Course (IDC) is the most popular way to achieve these two certifications in one go.
The IDC consists of 9 days in total – of which the first five days are covering the Assistant Instructor Course, while the last four days are continuing with the Open Water Scuba Instructor program.
It is a good idea to take the IDC Preparation Course, which starts two days before beginning the IDC. This course brushes up on your skills and diving theory. This advance preparation enables you to relax more on the course, knowing you have already revised many of the basic components of the Instructor Examination (IE).
SPECIAL FEATURES OF AN IDC WITH KOH SAMUI EASY DIVERS
• Expanded IDC course (9 days) and IDC preparation course (2 days)
• If IDC prep course taken and IE unsuccessful at first attempt, we offer your next IDC free
• Small classes – maximum 8 students
• Free snack breakfast and lunch during the IDC
• Free tea/coffee/water during classroom activities at the Dive Centre
• Full support from your Course Director and Staff Instructors during your IE – we will not abandon you after the course finishes!
• 10% early booking discount if booked 30 days in advance
• All tanks, weights, boat & jetty fees – no hidden extras!
• Bungalow reservation on request at a Beach Resort in walking distance to the dive centre for discounted room rates
INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT PREPARATION COURSE (IDC Prep)
During this preparation course you will revise the diving theory learned in your Divemaster course and take 5 Divemaster-level based exams in Physics, Physiology, Recreational Dive Planner, Equipment, & General Skills and the Environment. You will also practice your in-water skills presentation and learn the evaluation criteria used in the actual IE, so you know what will be expected of you in the examination.
INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT COURSE (IDC)
Part 1 of IDC – ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (AI)
The first five days of the IDC are the Assistant Instructor course. This is a performance-based course and has no exam, although there are certain standards to be met for successful completion of the course. You will be introduced to the PADI System of Diver Education, learn how to conduct theory presentations in a classroom, and how to present confined water and open water training in the pool and sea. The focus of this part of the course is on developing basic teaching techniques.
Part 2 of IDC – OPEN WATER SCUBA INSTRUCTOR (OWSI)
The second part of the IDC is a fiour days program that mostly focuses on developing your understanding and application of the PADI System of Diver Education from Discover Scuba through to Divemaster level. You will continue to expand the practical knowledge and skills learned in the AI course and learn how to teach those skills to others by participating in skills demonstrations, workshops and classroom presentations. Again, there is no exam but certain performance requirements must be achieved and you will be continually assessed on your teaching presentation and skills. Extra study time is available for students who are having difficulty with certain aspects of the course. On successful completion of the OWSI course you will receive an IDC completion form, enabling you to attend an Instructor Examination (IE) of your choice.
PREREQUISITES FOR AI/OWSI/IDC:
• Be at least 18 years of age
• Have been certified at entry level for at least six months prior to the start of the course
• Have proof of CPR/First Aid training dated within the past two years
• Have a medical examination stating you are fit to dive dated with in the past 12 months
Additional prerequisites for the AI course only:
• Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or equivalent from another diver training organization
• Have 60 logged dives showing experience in deep, night and navigation dives
Additional prerequisites for the OWSI course only:
• Be certified as a PADI Assistant Instructor or be an Instructor from another recreational diver
• Have 100 logged dives showing experience of deep, night and navigation dives
Additional prerequisites for the IDC course only:
• Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or equivalent from another diver training agency
• Have 100 logged dives showing experience in deep, night and navigation dives
PADI MATERIALS REQUIRED
– PADI Instructor Manual
– PADI’s Guide to Teaching
– Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline
– Diving Knowledge Workbook
– Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
– PADI Open Water Diver Manual
– Open Water Diver Quizzes & Exams
– PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
– PADI Rescue Diver Manual
– Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
– PADI Divemaster Manual
– Divemaster Final Exams booklet
– Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outline
– AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
– RDP – both versions (table and eRDP ML) including associated Instructions for Use booklets)
– Aquatic Cue Cards – for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver,
Divemaster and Discover Scuba Diving
– Confined Water Lesson Preparation Slate
– Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning Slate
· You can order all PADI materials with us on Koh Samui.
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU
• 4 passport sized photos
• Copies of all certification cards from Open Water through to Divemaster
• Copy of the last page of your log book showing proof of 100+ dives
• EFR certification dated within the past 2 years. Alternative first aid/CPR certification may be
acceptable but please check with us in advance
• Medical statement confirming you are fit to dive dated within the past year
• Any PADI books and materials you have already purchased
• Your credit card – PADI fees cannot be paid in cash
• A full set of diving equipment consisting of:
o Regulator with octopus, console with depth gauge in meters & SPG
o BCD with power inflator
o Mask, snorkel, fins
o Timing device
o Dive knife, compass & whistle
o Safety balloon & dive computer
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
• You should arrive in Koh Samui at least 2 days prior to the start of the IDC Prep Course, or, if you are not taking this course, then five days prior to the start of the IDC. This is to recover from any jet lag, if necessary and to receive your IDC course materials, if taking the IDC Prep course
• There is no substitute for advance preparation, so we suggest you review the Diving Knowledge Workbook and complete again all the Divemaster exams. Refer to the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving to brush up on those areas in which you did not perform so well
• Obtain access to a swimming pool and practice your skills demonstration and Rescue skills, concentrating on the treatment and removal of an unconscious diver at the surface. If you arrive at the Dive Centre well in advance of your course we can provide one of our certified Instructors to help you assess your ability in these areas.